Congratulations on being selected to the SECCLO programme! On this website, you will find more information on what to do next.
Due to coronavirus situation, autumn term 2020 orientation and teaching will take place mainly online and remotely. Regarding the School of Science, the first autumn’s master’s courses are primarily organized online. Courses that start in period I (7 Sept – 23 Oct) will be taught in online mode throughout the autumn. Some parts of teaching (e.g. exercise sessions) may be organized on campus but presence is voluntary. Hence, starting master’s studies doesn’t require presence on campus. For courses starting in period II (26 Oct – 18 Dec), the appropriate method will be decided in early autumn.
>For more information, please see Information on the effects of coronavirus on activities at Aalto University
1. Accept your study place at Studyinfo.fi portal by Friday 29th May 2020 (3pm, GMT +3) (1st application round) or by Friday 12th June 2020 (3pm, GMT +3) (2nd application round). Instructions are sent by email. Please note that students may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland during one academic term. If you do not accept offered study place in Study Info -portal by set deadline, your study place and possible scholarship will be automatically cancelled.
2. Self-funded students: We will send you the invoice for the first academic year after you have confirmed your participation. Send a receipt of the paid participation cost as a scanned copy by the set deadline to email@example.com.
3. Conditionally accepted students: If you have been conditionally accepted with an incomplete Bachelor’s degree, submit attested copies of your degree certificate to SECCLO Admission Office by Friday 7th August 2020 (3pm, GMT +3).
According to SECCLO’s admission procedure, all students selected with an incomplete Bachelor’s degree will need to graduate by 31 July 2020 and submit an officially attested copy of the degree certificate by mail by 7 August 2020 (3 pm, GMT +3). If you fail to do this or do not graduate in time, the offered study place will be cancelled.
If you graduate and get your degree certificate in time (see above), you have these options:
1) Mail us an officially attested copy of your Bachelor’s degree certificate (with official translation, if the degree certificate is not in English). The paper copy of the degree certificate will need to comply with our country-specific document requirements. If there are no country-specific requirements that apply to your country, the copy needs to be stamped and signed either by the issuing university or a notary public. The same rules on attestation and translations apply as during our application period, see Application documents. Please mail us also you final transcript of records. Please inform us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have mailed your documents.
2) Email us a copy of your Bachelor’s degree certificate (with official translation, if the degree certificate is not in English) and your final transcript of records. In this case, you will need to bring your original degree certificate, final transcript and their translations (if applicable) with you when you arrive to Aalto University.
If you are uncertain whether you can get the degree certificate by the deadline:
3) We can accept also a statement (in English) from your university confirming that you have completed all credits (incl. thesis, if applicable) by 31 July 2020. This statement must be sent by email to email@example.com by 7 August. In this case, you will need to bring your original degree certificate, final transcript and their translations (if applicable) with you when you arrive to Aalto University.
If your graduation is delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic:
4) In an exceptional situation where your graduation is delayed directly due to the coronavirus pandemic, SECCLO Consortium can use case-specific discretion. If your graduation is delayed and you cannot graduate by 31 July 2020 due to the pandemic, please submit an account of your situation by e-mail and request a statement from your university to support your explanation.
Your account of the situation and a statement by your university must be submitted at the latest by 7 August to firstname.lastname@example.org. The university statement must state that the graduation is exceptionally delayed and is not possible by 31 July 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. The statement will be verified with the university. If the delay is not caused directly by the pandemic, the conditionally granted study right will have to be cancelled.
4. Return other required documents, such as student agreement, by set deadlines. Instructions are sent by email.
5. Apply for 2-year residence permit (non-EU/EEA citizens) or book an appointment in order to register your residence at the Finnish Immigration Service (EU/EEA citizens). EU/EEA citizens do not need to apply for residence permit.
All Erasmus Mundus scholarship recipients have sufficient funds to be eligible for 2-year residence permit. Self-funded students must have 13 440€ as a bank deposit or other scholarship/grant in order to get 2-year residence permit, or alternatively 6 720€ for 1-year residence permit. Please note that all enrolled SECCLO students are covered by an insurance scheme by Erasmus Mundus Student Protection (EMSP). This insurance meets the minimum health and accident coverage requested by the Finnish Immigration Service. You can apply for the residence permit once you have received your personal insurance card by email.
What shall I put as date of arrival and date of departure from Finland?
Please arrive to Finland by 31st August 2020 the latest, the beginning of the orientation week. Departure date: 2 years from arrival date, for example 30th August 2022. If you have not been awarded Erasmus Mundus -scholarship and do not have sufficient funds for 2-year residence permit, please apply for 1-year residence permit instead (for example 31.8.2020 to 30.8.2021).
Date of arrival = the date when you intend to arrive to Finland, latest 31st August and earliest during August 2020. Your study right begins officially 1st August, but please note that there are no activities on campus before 31st August. In addition, please ensure you have accommodation from your arrival date onwards.
Date of departure = +2 years to the date of arrival (or +1 for those self-funded students who do not have sufficient funds for 2-year residence permit).
What is the duration of studies/stay in Finland?
2 years (during which the degree has an integrated mobility to another EU country)
What should I answer in “Mobility from Finland to another EU Member State under Directive (EU) 2016/801”
Please click “My studies are covered by a Union or multilateral programme that comprises mobility measures or by an agreement between two or more higher education institutions.”
To the question “During your stay in Finland, do you intend to exercise your right of mobility from Finland to another EU Member State under Directive (EU) 2016/801?” please select YES, but leave the “Which EU member state” -part empty.
What should I answer in “Health insurance”?
Paper version: In “Will your studies last at least two years?” please select option “Yes, and my health insurance covers pharmaceutical costs up to EUR 40,000”.
Online version: In “Do you have some kind of other insurance” please answer “Yes”, and click “All medical expenses” in My health insurance insurance covers.
6. Apply for accommodation.
7. Organize your travel to Finland. New students are expected to arrive to Aalto University Otaniemi Campus on 31st August 2020. If you are unable to arrive on time due to coronavirus situation, please keep us updated. Aalto University is currently exploring the possibility to start autumn term courses online, but more information about this will be sent later.
8. Pay Aalto student union (AYY) membership fee and enroll as attending student at the University. This can be done also upon your arrival to Aalto University Otaniemi Campus, but no later than 4th September 2020.
To enrol as an attending student at Aalto University after accepting your offer of admission, go to the OILI service of Study Info and pay the membership fee of the Aalto University student union (AYY). If you wish to join the student association of your field of study (Computer Science -guild for SECCLO students), also pay any related membership fees. You can pay the fee with bank transfer or credit card. The fee for academic year 2020-2021 is 91.00 € (incl. FHSH fee 28,50 € for autumn term 2020 – FHSH fee must be paid separately later on for spring term 2021).
If you are unable to enrol as attending in the OILI service, please send an email to email@example.com, pay the AYY fee with bank transfer directly to AYY and then submit a receipt of your payment of the student union (AYY) membership fee to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note that the receipt must include your name either as the payer or in the message field, and the bank-issued transaction identification number. Receipts with no name or identification number will not be accepted. If you pay the membership fee outside Finland, please be prepared to pay foreign transaction charges. The AYY membership fee must be paid in the exact amount.
9. Activate your Aalto IT credentials (username and email account).
An email with personal activation link will be sent to you once you have enrolled as attending, but not earlier than early August. Please follow the instructions on the email. If you do not receive an email, please contact Study Coordinator Laura Mursu (email@example.com) . Alternatively, you can also get your Aalto IT username and email from Aalto IT Service Desk upon arrival to Aalto University Otaniemi Campus – enrollment is required before this.
10. Please follow your email for more information about orientation, the start of studies and other practical issues. Please remember to notify us if you change your email address.
1. Arrive to Finland before or on the first day of orientation week for new students (31st August 2020). In case you have difficulties in arriving to Finland on time due to coronavirus situation, please keep us updated!
2. Get your keys and move in your apartment. Please see Shops and shopping for more information on how to purchase affordable furniture and houseware.
3. Pay AYY student union membership fee if you have not already. For more information,
4. After paying AYY membership fee, enroll as attending student at the University by visiting Aalto University School of Science Student Services in case you have not enrolled yet. When enrolling, please show your 1) ID and 2) receipt of the paid AYY membership fee. Students lose their study right if they have not enrolled by the end of the official enrollment period on 4th September 2020.
5. Attend the orientation week programme. Orientation week programme will be published later.
6. Submit your personal study plan (HOPS) in Sisu system and design your study schedule. Instructions for making a personal study plan will be given during orientation week.
7. Register to courses that start in period I. Academic year at Aalto University is divided into five periods. For more information, please see Aalto University academic calendar.
8. EU/EEA citizens: register your residence at the Finnish Immigration Service (you can get Finnish personal identity code at the same time)
9. If you have not received personal ID-code when applying for a residence permit or when registering as EU-citizen in Finland, you can apply for that at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (former Maistraatti).
10. EM scholarship recipient: open a bank account if you do not have a European bank account. For more information on opening a bank account in Finland, please see Financial matters.
11. Other practicalities after paying AYY membership fee and enrolling as attending
– apply for a student card (Frank card)
– get a travel card with student discount (HSL card) by visiting HSL Service Point – for this purpose, you need your ID and the Travel Card Application Form for Exchange Students from Aalto University School of Science Student Services.
– order a library card
– change your Aalto password
SECCLO students during May Day 2019, Aalto University Otaniemi Campus
Office B157, Computer Science -building, Otaniemi Campus, Espoo
Street address: Konemiehentie 2, 02150 Espoo, Finland
Postal address: SECCLO, PL 15400, FI-00076 Aalto, Finland
We are in building number 30 in Aalto University campus map