For selected students
The group photo of first SECCLO intake and Aalto staff in September 2018
Checklist: what to do after being selected to SECCLO programme
- Accept your study place and return the required documents by set deadline. Instructions are sent to you by email.
- Did you apply with an incomplete degree? Submit attested copies of your degree certificate by the set deadline.
- Apply for residence permit (non EU/EEA citizens) or book an appointment in order to register your residence at the Finnish Immigration Service (EU/EEA citizens). When you apply for the residence permit or register your residence, please ask to be registered to the Finnish population system at the same time so that you can receive a Finnish personal identity code (required e.g. for opening a bank account in Finland).
>> More information about residence permit (non EU/EEA citizens) and registering residence (EU/EEA citizens)
- Apply for accommodation
>> More information about housing
- Organize your travel to Finland
- Pay AYY student union membership fee and enroll as attending student at the University. This can be done also upon your arrival to Aalto University Otaniemi Campus.
- Method 1: If you have Finnish online banking ID, you can enroll online at Studyinfo.fi
- Method 2: If you are unable to enroll online, you need to pay the Aalto University Student Union (AYY) membership fee (tertiary enrollment method, payment using a general bank reference number) and submit a receipt of the paid membership fee to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Activate your Aalto IT username and email. If you have Finnish online banking ID or with a Finnish electronic ID (HST) card, you can do this after enrolling as attending at salasana.aalto.fi . You can also get your Aalto IT username and email from Aalto University School of Science Student Services or Aalto IT Service Desk upon arrival to Aalto University Otaniemi Campus.
For more detailed instructions, you can also see checklist on “After Admission to Master’s studies” at Aalto University website. Please note that this list is not completely accurate for SECCLO students as it is written for regular degree students.
Checklist: what to do upon arrival to Aalto University, Finland
- Arrive to Finland before or on the first day of orientation week for new students. Fore more information, please see Academic calendar.
- Get your keys and move in. Please see Shops and shopping for more information on how to purchase affordable furniture and houseware.
- Pay AYY student union membership fee by bank tranfer or by with cash or credit at AYY service desk.
>>More information about paying AYY membership fee
- After paying AYY membership fee, enroll as attending student at the University and activate your Aalto IT username and email by visiting Aalto University School of Science Student Services if you have not enrolled yet.
- Attend the orientation week programme. Programme is sent to all selected students and is updated at Starting your studies.
- Submit your personal study plan (HOPS), plan you study schedule. For more information, please see Planning your studies.
- Register to courses that start in period I. Academic year at Aalto University is divided into five periods. Fore more information, please see Academic calendar.
- EU/EEA citizens: register your residence at the Finnish Immigration Service (you can get Finnish personal identity code at the same time)
- If you do not have a Finnish personal identity code: apply for the code from Finnish Immigration Service (EU/EEA-citizens) or Local register office (non -EU-citizens)
- Scholarship recipient: open a bank account if you do not have a European bank account. For more information on opening a bank account in Finland, please see Financial matters.
- Other practicalities after paying AYY membership fee and enrolling as attending:
Contact information for Aalto University School of Science Student Services
Office B157, Computer Science -building, Otaniemi Campus, Espoo
Street address: Konemiehentie 2, 02150 Espoo, Finland
Postal address: SECCLO, PL 15400, FI-00076 Aalto, Finland
Please see the SECCLO handbook for students 2018-2020 for more information on practical matters and study affairs at SECCLO consortium universities.